RYA Youth Stage 2 Course
Moving on from the Stage 1 we now teach the young people how to sail in more depth, by the end of the course they should have a range of sailing skills and knowledge to help in becoming a confident sailor.
During this course we aim to maximise water time, there is some theory associated with the syllabus but we aim to teach this in an efficient manner.
The course covers the following syllabus:
- Rigging, Launching & Recovery – Can independently rig their own boat taking into condieration other sailors.
- Ropework – Can tie a few more essential knots.
- Sailing Techniques & Manoeuvres – Can, under instruction, sail simple courses that involve crewing a boat with more control than at Stage 1.
- Clothing & Equipment – Know what clothing is essential and what to wear for the conditions.
- Capsize – Can either assist in righting a double hander or can right their own boat.
- General – Understands in greater depth sailing theory to help them get the most out of the boat.
- Meteorology – Has knowledge of wind direction.
- Rules of the Road – Understands the port and starboard rule
|Length of course||4 days|
|Start and finish times||9:00-13:00|
|Previous experience required||RYA Youth Stage 1|
|You will need to bring||Please bring a waterproof jacket, warm clothes and a hat if it’s cold; if it’s warm you will need sun screen, sunglasses, a hat and cool clothing. Whatever the weather you will also need footwear to wear on the water (old trainers etc).|
|Certificates gained||RYA Youth Stage 2|
|Minimum age 7 years old||Anyone under the age of 18 years must have a Parental Consent form completed and signed by a parent/guardian – this must be handed in to reception on arrival during registration, without this form participants will not be permitted to take part.|
|What next?||The next progression is to join us on our Stage 3 sailing course where we go into further detail on how to sail.|