RYA Youth Stage 1 Course
This is our standard starting point for young people aged 8 and over wanting to learn to sail, this course that is specially tailored to younger sailors will teach the young person a basic understanding of how a boat sails, with some experience of steering and handling the boat.
During this course we aim to maximise water time, there is some theory associated with the syllabus but we aim to teach this in an efficient manner.
The course covers the following syllabus:
- Rigging, Launching & Recovery – Can assist with rigging a dinghy, launch and recover it.
- Ropework – Can tie a few essential knots.
- Sailing Techniques & Manoeuvres – Can, under instruction, sail simple courses that involve crewing a boat.
- Clothing & Equipment – Know what clothing is essential and what to wear for the conditions.
- Capsize – Understands the importance of staying with the boat.
- General – Understands a few essentials to help them get the most out of the sessions.
- Meteorology – Has knowledge of wind direction