?RYA Youth Stage 3 Course
RYA Youth Stage 3 Course
Moving on from the Stage 2, the young people are really becoming confident sailors. On the Stage 3 course we really go further into equipping them with the skills to be independent sailors. Upon successful completion of the course they will be able to rig, launch and then sail their boat in any direction. This is the equivalent of an adult Stage 2 certificate.
During this course we aim to maximise water time, there is some theory associated with the syllabus but we aim to teach this in an efficient manner.
The course covers the following syllabus:
- Rigging, Launching & Recovery – Can independently rig their own boat taking into condieration other sailors
- Ropework – Can tie a few more essential knots
- Sailing Techniques & Manoeuvres – Can demonstrate the basic principles of sailing; tacking, gybing, sailing a course, coming alongside and much more including racing!
- Clothing & Equipment – Know what clothing is essential and what to wear for the conditions
- Capsize – Can right their own boat
- General – During the course we will look at recovering man overboards, the points of sailing,terminology, communication and basic safety guidance
- Meteorology - Has knowledge of how to obtain weather forecasts and the beaufort wind scale
- Rules of the Road – Understands the port and starboard, windward and overtaking rules
Length of course
Start & Finish Times
9am to 5pm
Previous Experience Required
RYA Youth Stage 2
You will need to bring
Please bring a waterproof jacket, warm clothes and a hat if it's cold; if it's warm you will need sun screen, sunglasses, a hat and cool clothing. Whatever the weather you will also need footwear to wear on the water (old trainers etc).
Anyone under the age of 18 years must have a Parental Consent form completed and signed by a parent/guardian - this must be handed in to reception on arrival during registration, without this form participants will not be permitted to take part.
The next progression could be to look at developing their racing on the Start Racing course or to develop their sailing skills on a Stage 4 course.
Last updated 18:00 on 13 March 2019